Technologies to Add
This is a list of web game technologies that we hope to support in the future. If you'd like to help us add one of these technologies to Flashpoint, please join the #plugins-chat channel in our Discord.
Please add new technologies in alphanumeric order.
Here are some places to find more technologies to add to Flashpoint:
- mozdev.org - Windows PluginDoc
- GitHub Gist - a list of almost 4000 plugins
- K-Meleon Extensions Central
- Windows95.com - Web Browser Plugins (backup here)
- Plug-in Plaza
- Inline Plug-ins
- Another list
- Plug-in Gallery & Demo Links (oyamada)
Atomic 3D / Neutron Viewer
BitPlayer is a standalone player able to play BitMagic content, which is based on Flash or Shockwave. It downloaded games (BitGames) or BitFlicks (animations) from the internet on a daily basis. Advertisements were downloaded as well. All of these were stored in BM files, which contain an SWF for Flash-based content, or a DCR for Shockwave-based content.
There were around 2000 BitMagic files in its short life. We have only been able to save a little less than 500.
bitmagic.com.au, bitmagic.org, content.ao.bitmagic.com, download.ao.bitmagic.com, download.us.bitmagic.com, www.bitmagic.com
You might have to search for BitMagic for most of these links.
[Michiel Frackers Interview - Co-founder] [Co-founder flash website] [animators website] [more info] [linkedin profile] [about book by cofounder] [more info 2] [website were player could be downloaded] [blog talking about various inside happenings]
BitMagic should be good for the next release. However, items currently cannot be fully curated in the Curate Tab, since they can't be played directly, so no screen shots, etc. via the Curate Tab.
Examples are included in the download.
- bitmagic_converter - Extracts the Flash or Shockwave file embedded in a BitMagic file and shows metadata such as name, creator/note, and edition (usually a date, presumably the date it was published)
- minimagic_extractor - Extracts BitMagic BM files from Minimagic EXEs. Minimagic was a way of packaging up a BitMagic animation as a standalone executable.
The curation tutorial is available at BitPlayer Curation.
Castle Game Engine Web Plugin
- Can't find C:\Program on PATH.
- Exception "Exception":
windres failed, cannot create Windows resource
No precompiled builds are available yet. As such, you may have to download any of the following files to compile the plugin:
- Lazarus: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2032%20bits/ (it might be best to download the version with the highest version number)
- Free Pascal (included with Lazarus, but also linked to separately in case that helps get the plugin compiled): https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Win32/
- Castle Game Engine: https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/releases/tag/snapshot
- Install and demos: https://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~biotext/chimedemos/getplugins.html
- Crashes a majority of the time, The Basilisk and Flashpoint cache must be cleared.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_FreeHand (please note the article makes no mention of the plugin, but it appears to arise from that)
Also called Shockwave Graphics Player, or, like the other Shockwave plugins, just Shockwave.
- All the sites with the icon on http://web.archive.org/web/19961026210317/http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/epicenter/ (you have to click on the categories)
Sometimes throws this error:
All three buttons make the plugin stop working.
Google Native Client
- Slimjet 10, Used by oshaboy for testing: https://bluepload.unstable.life/slimjet10.exe
- GCC and Clang toolchains for Native Client: https://chromium.googlesource.com/?format=HTML (Should be useful because some NaCl have been lost in binary form but still exist in source code form)
- "[6708:11872:0517/190417:ERROR:nacl_process_host.cc(215)] DuplicateHandle() failed" on Chromium 40
and .pexefiles get downloaded by the browser, but don't start. Slimjet 10 can't see the PNaCl compiler plugin when running through a proxy. (See chrome://components)(That was because the compiler was not in the user folder)
"TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:" error when trying to run Grail(Solved) "An exception occurred during applet loading : exceptions.TypeError: compile, argument 1: expected string without null bytes, string found" error on all official Grail demo applets, except for Clocks, Play A Sound File, Demos Similar to Common Java Demos, Show Grail's Applet Exception Handling, Calendar and A Little Joke.(That's because Grail can't decrypt gzipped http packets)
- "An error occurred in a callback function : audiodev.error : no audio device" error if trying to play a sound in Play A Sound File. It's possible the audio files don't exist where they originally existed.
Old versions of Python and Tcl/Tk are required. These may work:
- Python 1.5.2: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/win32/py152.exe
- Tcl/Tk: ftp://ftp.ncnr.nist.gov/pub/cryst/gsas/win/tcltk80p2+.exe
- All-in-one packages: Grail.7z, https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/516027726851735632/711588211222118450/Grail_but_More_Portable.7z Grail but More Portable]
HTML+TIME / XHTML+SMIL
A proposal by Microsoft for including animation and interactivity in HTML: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML%2BTIME
- No independent download, added to Internet Explorer in IE 5.5 and removed in IE 9. X-UA-Compatible does not appear to work
- DLLs from Windows XP + Internet Explorer 6 are installable: mstime.dll for time2, datime.dll for time
- IE11 on Windows 10 with DLLs installed and registry entry seems to have issues with transparency.
- IE6 via Utilu on Windows 10 bolds some stuff weirdly.
- Ad demos are apparently older HTML+TIME syntax and only seem to run on IE5.5. Can datime.dll be unblocked on Win10 and syntax added to ensure its inclusion into the page? How large would a rewrite into XHTML+SMIL be?
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default Behaviors] # C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll "VML"="CLSID:10072CEC-8CC1-11D1-986E-00A0C955B42E" # C:\Windows\system32\datime.dll "TIME"="CLSID:476c391c-3e0d-11d2-b948-00c04fa32195" # C:\Windows\system32\mstime.dll "TIME2"="CLSID:17237A20-3ADB-48ec-B182-35291F115790" # ??? "ANIM"="CLSID:B1549E58-3894-11D2-BB7F-00A0C999C4C1" "DA"="CLSID:B1549E58-3894-11D2-BB7F-00A0C999C4C1"
A 3D viewer for MCF files, which are similar to sitemaps.
- https://web.archive.org/web/19970527121925fw_/http://www.hdcity.com/sample_index.html (requires a multitude of plugins)
An image compression plugin mainly used for orthophotos.
- Window on the UK, Window on the Universe (Volumes 1 & 2) and the plugin installer: https://archive.org/details/bnsc-wouk
- Package contains o2c files and installer: https://discord.com/channels/432708847304704010/516027726851735632/767757315423207484
- Second package with another player: https://discord.com/channels/432708847304704010/516027726851735632/768027913080930345
OCX files are used, but trying to run these as an ActiveX Control gives a "Registry Failed".
A proposal by Google for a standard 3D API for the Web. WebGL supplanted it. Google eventually wrote a WebGL version of O3D, but conversion is not automatic and the Beach demo was not converted
There are no known trustworthy downloads, although source code exists. https://www.zhaodll.co/n/20130417/158957.html has been tested and works, but the website is sketchy.
Opal Player Plugin
Appears to be for interactives. Potentially doesn't support Vista.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20010210212223/http://www.cai.com/products/opal/plugins.htm (doesn't work, FTP)
- Installer and demos: http://www.ddrose.com/~drose/plugin/install_plugin.html
- Latest runtime: https://www.panda3d.org/download/runtime-1-0-4/
- Open directory of Panda3D stuff: http://www.ddrose.com/~drose/p3d_7/
- Pac-Bat - tested and working on 2019-07-21
- Dice in a Stone Box
- A3P - Acquire, Attack, Asplode, Pwn! - tries to install Python and crashes.
Has a huge number of runtime components that are downloaded and installed on demand. They are listed here: http://runtime.panda3d.org/contents.xml
Unlike the other technologies on this list, this is not a distinct software platform. Instead, it is a browser plugin that allows Windows-only NPAPI plugins to run on Linux.
See https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/datahub/Linux_Support#Pipelight for more information.
- Uses the Windows system directory and is not portable.
- The latest version available on apple.com requires Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Service Pack 1 MFC.
- Both Apple Application Support and QuickTime are required. Registry entries point to their locations.
- Registry files: apple.reg, quicktime.reg
- Not all data in quicktime.reg is likely needed.
- In Flashpoint, Basilisk is currently configured to disable QuickTime by default to avoid conflicts.
- Some of the npqtplugin.dll files may interfere with other video/audio plugins or built-in behavior. It may make sense to have the QuickTime plugin available only when viewing a QuickTime curation. Basilisk's built-in MIME type configuration dialog can also be used to choose what plugins are used for different types of content.
An online block-based virtual language, currently based upon Blockly, then previously Flash, and before that, Java (Squeak 2.8 for the offline editor). While it is possible to curate Scratch games in Flashpoint using converters and packagers, they are not in their original form.
- 1.4 Offline Editor: https://download.scratch.mit.edu/ScratchInstaller1.4.exe (Windows), https://download.scratch.mit.edu/MacScratch1.4.dmg (Mac), http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu//pool/universe/s/scratch/scratch_22.214.171.124~dfsg1-5~ubuntu12.04.1_all.deb (Linux)
- 2.0 Offline Editor: https://scratch.mit.edu/scratchr2/static/sa/Scratch-461.exe (Windows), https://scratch.mit.edu/scratchr2/static/sa/Scratch-461.dmg (Mac)
- 3 Offline Editor: https://downloads.scratch.mit.edu/desktop/Scratch%20Setup.exe (Windows), https://downloads.scratch.mit.edu/desktop/Scratch.dmg (Mac)
- Wodunne's World: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/23012/
- Snail Platformer v1.4: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/91723110/
- Scratch 2 and 3 do not have Linux versions. However, it may be possible to run their respective Windows versions in Wine.
- Files from Wayback https://discord.com/channels/432708847304704010/516027726851735632/785218816711983104
- Looks like they're intended to be single-asset
- The installer installs plugins (ActiveX and NPAPI) and a standalone viewer
- Newest version: https://web.archive.org/web/20020128084644if_/http://www.thingworld.com:80/download/ThingViewer_Install.exe
- ThingMaker may be on this CD: https://archive.org/details/computerbuyercd-1998-09
- https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.thingworld.com/* filter by .tms
Visviva Animation Player
Interactive animation player, available as web plugins and standalone player.
- Internet Explorer plugin: http://web.archive.org/web/20070214114303/http://www.visviva.com:80/download/webplug/VaeCtrl.CAB
- Netscape plugin: http://web.archive.org/web/20091201043805/http://www.visviva.com/download/webplug/npvaemsw.jar
- Standalone player: https://web.archive.org/web/20030421090321/http://www.visviva.com/download/vae2_56.exe
- vaengine.dll seems to use both WSOCK32 and WININIT, but the primary download is via WSOCK32. Flashpoint currently does not support proxying WinSock.
- Requires DirectPlay
- Wild Pockets wiki: https://wildpockets.fandom.com/wiki/Wildpockets_Wiki
- Plugin source: https://launchpad.net/wildpockets
WildTangent Web Driver
- Pages typically launch wthost.exe which itself uses an ActiveX plugin
- FlashpointProxy.dll needs to be attached to wthost.exe (currently attached to webdriver.dll)
- Newer version recommended by WildTangent Discord doesn't seem to support WinInet?
- Most games will need MS Java
- Antiviruses hate hate hate anything WildTangent related
- When producing combined webdriver+java config, be sure to only have one classpath entry
- https://www.cs.vu.nl/~eliens/hush/archive/wt/sdk/ from the SDK.
(Note: It's unclear whether these two links reference the same plugin or two different plugins with Tulip in the name)
- A list of some X3D players: https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html
- Examples: Scene Archives for X3D: https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples
- FreeWRL examples: http://freewrl.sourceforge.net/examples.html
- Examples from instantreality: http://doc.instantreality.org/media//uploads/downloads/2.8.0/instantReality-testset-2.8.0.zip
Flux Player 2.1 loads indefinitely under TheWorld 3.5.03
Could potentially be considered just another ActiveX control?
The sample at https://web.archive.org/web/20051223071519/http://www.pureform.org/virtualGallery.htm (linked from personal projects) reportedly has Flash <-> XVR interaction. This might not be supportable in Flashpoint unless Flash can be added to Flashpoint Secure Player or an NPAPI version of XVR is found.
Technologies Already Included
Added in Flashpoint 8.1
Pulse3D was previously called "Platinum VRML."
MICD2001_11_NR2.iso here: http://archive.org/details/MICD200111/
Browser plugins (at least the NPAPI one, didn't check ActiveX) seem to look for Pulse by using ShGetFolderPathA to find CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE | CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES if that function exists (and if not, looking at a Registry entry).
Some files seem to need a command sent to the plugin (for example, Fozzie needs "play obj=Dummy01 pkg=assets/fozzie/Package2.pws transition=0.30 heading=yes behave=joke"). The NPAPI version of the plugin looks like it relies on LiveConnect, which might not be supported in Basilisk.
Added in Flashpoint 8.2
A list of some VRML players: https://www.vrinternal.com/docs/links.html
Cosmo Player: https://cosmo-player.en.softonic.com/download
*; Also contains links to other places containing VRML content.
- Internet Archive Search: subject:"VRML": https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22VRML%22
- A list of chat worlds and games at VR Internal (on the left sidebar): https://www.vrinternal.com/docs/links.html
- A Little Bit About Me: http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/AboutMe.htm
- All VRML worlds from Archive Team's Geocities scrape (1,985 .wrl files total) https://flashfreeze.submissions.unstable.life/geocities.7z
- Andrew's VRML Games and Puzzles: http://www.soc.napier.ac.uk/~andrew/vrml/
- Floops archive, contains episodes 7, 10, 20, 24, 28, 29, 31, 35, 36, 38, 41, 42, 46, 47, 52, 53 and a special: https://github.com/Sgeo/floopsArchive
- FreeWRL examples: http://freewrl.sourceforge.net/examples.html
- Google search for VRML, limited to*: .ac.uk addresses, altervista.org addresses, .edu addresses, gainos.org addresses, VRML archives
- Lots and Lots of VRML 1: https://bluepload.unstable.life/lotsandlotsofvrml1.7z
- The Haunted House (created by Nekochan member nongrato): http://web.archive.org/web/20190704003702/http://sgizone.co.nf/haunted/
- Web3D Amusements* (The English version of VRML GAME. It has VRML programs not in the other version, which is in Japanese): http://web.archive.org/web/20191017225236/http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~kekenken/main/index.html
- VRML GAME*: http://web.archive.org/web/20191016182344/http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~kekenken/main/3d/game/game.htm
- VRML resources for the 3E15 lecture - 14 October 1998*: http://www2.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~jrk/wwwvrml.dir/public-vrml/VRMLLECTURE/
- vrml.sgi.com: http://web.archive.org/web/19980113075629/http://vrml.sgi.com/intro.html
- Flux Player 2.1 is stuck loading under TheWorld 3.5.03
- Too many players with variations: Which ones should get included?
Live3D: Crashes on page navigationresolvable by using in Netscape 4
- Cosmo Player: Struggles with large worlds. Direct3D renderer (the default) seems to cause dropped polygons (in Mod Gun and Beat Monk Bash at least) and drifting cameras (in Mod Dance Party) and wrongly rendering textures (in Dilbert animation I Think Therefore I Am). Have been unable to get software renderer to work. OpenGL renderer (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CosmoSoftware\CosmoPlayer\2.1.1\renderer = OPENGL) seems to work fine on one system, needs testing before any decision to hardcode.
- Blaxxun Contact 4.4: If a world has sounds but a sound has not played yet, low FPS. This seems to occur in a full install too.
- Blaxxun Contact 4.4: Some worlds rely on RealPlayer G2. Include in Blaxxun config? Example world: http://www.e-spaces.com/portfolio/ssg/vrml/main.wrl
- academic paper
- Japanese presentation
See https://bluepload.unstable.life/tcl-info.txt for many examples.
The Tcl plugin may not load unless these conditions are met:
- The page with the Tcl embed has to be the first page loaded by the browser (not counting about:home).
- The page must be allowed to complete loading without scrolling the page or moving the mouse over the embed area.
Tested in latest K-Meleon (non-Goanna) version on 2019-08-17.
Added in Flashpoint 10.0
There were multiple other plugins added to 10.0 that are not listed here, as they never were added to this page.
<object>tag. This appears to because of a use of VBScript. VBScript can be reenabled via registry, or it might be cleaner to replace the JS.
- Some older Atmosphere worlds don't work in the plugin. Newer worlds (including galleries) won't work fully in the standalone player.
- Low FPS. Can seemingly be fixed by changing "Throttle when not active". Hardware acceleration can be added by editing a text file, but it results in oddities in the tic tac toe world (http://www.it-quadrat.de/ttt/ttt3d/ttt.aer)
- Cannot point plugin directly at an
<object>tag must be used. (This is an original Adobe Atmosphere limitation)
- Some worlds automatically close chat. Some other worlds put useful information in the chat. The chat open/closed preference is saved, so worlds with chat should probably have some code to open chat embedded.
- Excessive caching may be a possibility.
- Stairs are tricky to climb. Could be related to missing avatars? Might want to include default avatar in htdocs.
It doesn't work with the proxy, loading from the live web.This was fixed by adding FlashpointProxy.dll (twice). It requests data — specifically, a version number — from the registry. It gives a popup, but clicking "No" allows the application to play.Fixed by using FSP in Basilisk. Using FSP with the standalone player gives "The process failed to start" as a popup, and "An error occured while activating the Mode." in the logs.Fixed with a config file tweak. It requests some tracking files.We will use dummy files. It doesn't recognize the dummy filesNot really that important.
Details on how to add the Support Pack are in this Discord message.
The tutorial is located at Alambik Curation.
Download links for all known versions: https://archive.org/details/mindavenue-axel-player
Download of plugin files and modified Basilisk-Portable.ini Download
Plugin for a cross-platform programming language. The plugin exists for both IE and Netscape-based browsers, but may be better tested in the former. It seems like most embeds have been written expecting one or the other.
- https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/516027726851735632/785357102863482940/rebol_pack.7z (No logo, and only IE version)