Instructions for Curating
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A guide to testing your extracted Flash games, Java Applets, and more.
- Download Flashpoint Core, a lightweight developer version of Flashpoint
- Most games are tested within
Flashpoint Core X.X/Games/Flash/htdocs. X.X is the version number
- Make note of the direct URL to the game executable you've extracted
Important, for most non-flash games, you need to save not only the game executable, but also the HTML code snippet in which the executable is embedded - place that in an index.html file, and keep reading
- Within htdocs, make a folder with the website name
- Within that folder, begin mimicking the URL by building corresponding subdirectories.
newgrounds.com/alienhominid/59593_alien_booya202c.swf- you would make an
alienhominidsubfolder, if your url has more, keep adding subfolders until it looks like your url
- Finally, place your game executable in the last subfolder (along with an
index.htmlif you've created one)
Now that you have the code set up correctly in htdocs:
- Open up Flashpoint Core and click on New Game on the bottom right corner
- Click on Application Path and select the appropriate path for your extracted game ** i.e. flashplayer.exe for flash, startUnity.bat for Unity, etc.
- The Launch command should be the exact URL to where you extracted the game
- However, for most non-Flash games, you need to link it to the html in which the game is embedded
- If you want to edit these locations later, head to the Arcade tab and select the game - there will be a pencil image and a trash image next to the name - click the pencil
- You should see a new game in the launcher list
- Run it
- You can debug by observing the Flashpoint redirector and seeing if you're missing any extra assets or code by going to the URL locations, downloading it and placing it correctly in the htdocs
Once it works, follow the instructions on the Curation_Format.